canberrabirds

FW: [canberrabirds] Golden-headed Cisticola

To: <>
Subject: FW: [canberrabirds] Golden-headed Cisticola
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2015 08:00:07 +1100

Almost certainly a female at this time of year when plumages are strongly differentiated.  A juv would be duller, show a cream gape etc, also very short-tailed according to HANZAB.  Expert?  Far from it. I gave a talk to COG on cisticolas some years ago back in the days of slide slides.  I showed breeding males with short tails, incongruously so early in the season. Someone asked if any other species had short tails in the breeding season and I didn’t know. I found later that fairy-wrens also moult into slightly shorter tails in the breeding season.  Something everyone should know.

There is something I would like to investigate further about these birds. You will know that characteristic ‘tzeeeet … plonk’ call given by the male.  I have some old video somewhere that shows a momentary bulge of the throat when it comes to the abrupt ‘plonk’.  I have recently heard the tzeeet from one direction and the plonk from another.  Could this be male/female (or, more likely, female/male) duetting (like the whipbird) or a rival male? I have discarded a ventriloquial effect.  You now have the advantage of the curiously named ‘boardwalk’ (distinguished by an absence of boards in its construction  -   now THAT’S something you need a word for).  You can stand on this and (if you stand on it often enough) hear a tzeet a few metres away on one side and a plonk on the other.  It is difficult in the dense reeds to have 2 birds, or even one bird, in view at the one time