canberrabirds

Reflectioons on log-watching at Kelly Swamp

To: <>
Subject: Reflectioons on log-watching at Kelly Swamp
From: "Steve Read" <>
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2014 12:46:11 +1100

Lunch at the MCG, and following Geoffrey’s compositions below (poetic and photographic) I’m happy to reinstate the “possible” qualifier alongside my Lewins Rail report from Tuesday, at least until the birds are confirmed by someone else.

I’d dismissed Baillon’s simply on the basis of size – having seen Baillon’s reasonably regularly at Kellys, including yesterday morning – as the two birds I saw just weren’t that tiny.  Darker, browner legs and bill than the pictures below, too.  But the advice of the experienced watchers of crakes and rails (a very peaceful pastime at Kellys, I’ve found) is always appreciated.

Steve