canberrabirds

Any golfers out there? Australian White Ibis nesting.

To: <>
Subject: Any golfers out there? Australian White Ibis nesting.
From: "Mark Clayton" <>
Date: Thu, 25 Dec 2014 14:23:45 +1100

Some time ago I sent an email to the chatline about Australian White Ibis breeding at Tidbinbilla NR after being informed by a volunteer out there. This appears to be the second site in the ACT where AWI have been recorded breeding – the first was a colony at Yowani Golf Course which was intentionally destroyed theoretically because their droppings were fouling Sullivan’s Creek. Recently I have been to the Gungahlin Lakes Golf Club for several meals. On all occasions I have seen what appears to be a colony to the “west” of the clubhouse, visible from the bistro area and about 500+ metres away. As I am not a golfer and don’t have access to the course, are there any COG members who are also Lakes members who play the course and can check out this possible colony? Today as I was driving to drop something off to family in Palmerston I noticed small flocks of AWI flying from the general area.

Thanks,

Mark