canberrabirds

collared sparrow hawk at Yarralumla

To: "'Nathanael Coyne'" <>, "'CanberraBirds'" <>
Subject: collared sparrow hawk at Yarralumla
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2014 18:54:31 +1100
Curiously several of the known prey taken by Collared Sparrowhawks in Canberra are Crested Pigeons (going by some photos, what others have mentioned and what I have seen) but I'm not aware of any feral pigeons and they are not a likely regular prey, as they inhabit more open areas and are probably faster fliers and at the upper limit of prey size range for CS. HANZAB shows that feral pigeons are a very small part of their diet, and they take mostly small birds. I think you need to request the Peregrine Falcons instead.