canberrabirds

Incubation periodof Willie Wagtails

To: COG List <>
Subject: Incubation periodof Willie Wagtails
From: Martin Butterfield <>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2014 08:37:59 +1100
A Carwoola friend is concerned about a Willie Wagtail.  See message below.  HANZAB says incubation usually starts after the final egg laid and takes 14 days.  I would be confident that there are not chicks in the nest as the bird wouldn't be sitting tight but getting grub(s) for the chicks.

Could an electrical storm have addled the eggs?  What other explanation could there be for such an extension to the brooding period?

-

I am worried about my WWagtails.

Today makes 3 weeks that she has been on the nest, if we say she spent a week laying then they still should be hatched.

So I am wondering if you have been able to find out any more about electrical storms and the possible effect on eggs??