canberrabirds

re A recent paper on Common Myna culling in Canberra

To: <>
Subject: re A recent paper on Common Myna culling in Canberra
From: "Chris Davey" <>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2014 12:09:30 +1100

Hi,

For those interested in the culling program of the Common Myna in Canberra,  a recent paper titled

Understanding basic species population

dynamics for effective control: a case study

on community-led culling of the common

myna (Acridotheres tristis)

Kate Grarock, Christopher

R. Tidemann, Jeffrey T. Wood & David

B. Lindenmayer

may be of interest.  Unfortunately the paper is too large for an attachment.  The paper can be found at

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs10530-013-0580-2

but  you will have to pay to read a copy.

A copy of the Abstract can be found below.

Abstract Population manipulation of introduced

species can be difficult and many widespread eradication

or reduction attempts have failed. Understanding

the population dynamics of a species is essential

for undertaking a successful control program. Despite

this, control attempts are frequently undertaken with

limited knowledge of the species population dynamics.

For example, in Australia, concern over the impact

of the introduced common myna (Acridotheres tristis)

has led to community members culling the species. In

this paper, we assessed the impact of community-led

common myna culling program over broad and finescales

in Canberra, Australia. We utilized a basic

population model to enhance understanding of common

myna population dynamics and the potential

influence of various culling regimes. We found a

significant negative relationship between common

myna abundance and culling at fine-scales (1 km2).

However, over broad-scales the relationship between

common myna abundance and culling was not significant.

Our population model indicated culling at a rate

of 25 birds per km2 per year would reduce common

myna abundance, regardless of initial density. Our

results suggest that currently too few individuals are

being removed from the Canberra population, and

natural reproduction, survival and/or immigration is

able to replace the culled individuals. This highlights

the value of undertaking basic population modeling

to assess if potential control measures are capable

of achieving desired outcomes. Our work provides

information for researchers, government and community

groups interested in controlling not only the

common myna, but also other introduced species.

Chris