canberrabirds

Masked Lapwings' 3 Chicks, Tuggeranong

To: CanberraBirds <>
Subject: Masked Lapwings' 3 Chicks, Tuggeranong
From: Matthew Willis <>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2014 10:48:03 +1100
Several years ago there was a pair who had a nest set up at the front of my daughter's school in Gungahlin. For whatever reason they had decided to set up right next to the drop off zone in the main carpark and had to spend each morning and afternoon freaking out at all the people coming and going. They never hurt anyone, and vice versa, but it must have been stressful for them.

I've long been fascinated by the protective strategy of Lapwings. The way one comes at you from the front along the ground, making a big fuss, while the other takes off to swoop you from behind is pretty much identical to the velociraptor behaviour described in Jurassic Park (without the flying, of course). A bit of inspiration for the script writer, perhaps.