canberrabirds

Lake Burley Griffin West Basin

To: Peter Ormay <>
Subject: Lake Burley Griffin West Basin
From: Denise Kay <>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2014 20:26:24 +1100
I am in favour of that

Denise
On 10 Nov 2014, at 8:09 pm, Peter Ormay <> wrote:

Dear Susan,
I assume from what you say that they plan to concrete the lake’s edge like they have done between Kings Av and Commonwealth Bridges

I think that the COG Committee should have a look at the proposal and make a recommendation on behalf of it’s members
Peter

I’m sending this to you because I’m worried about the government’s plan for re-development of the West Basin.  What do COG members, think?  This is the major part of the email I sent to the Ministers and I’ve had no response from Minister Gentleman and only acknowledgement of receipt from the others.
Susan

Dear Chief Minister and Ministers,

I am writing to express my deep concern about some aspects of the design for West Basin you have planned for the “City to the Lake”.

A serious problem will be the destruction of wildlife habitat if buildings and boardwalks replace the lake edges and grass areas.  Many water birds (at least 12 species) feed at the edge of the lake and in the water, graze on the grass or roost in the trees next to the lake.  These include swans, cormorants, darters and large numbers of coot and ducks .  Swans and wood ducks have been bringing their young ones onto the grass to graze this Spring.   Concreting the edge of the lake will block the birds’ access to crustaceans and other food sources in and beside the water there.

Apart from those birds, I have noted at least 26 land species using the West Basin area for feeding, roosting and nesting. These include four parrot species, fantails, wrens, magpie larks, kingfisher, plover etc  etc.  I have kept a list of the numbers of birds I have noted at West Basin since July and I would be happy to provide that to you if it is of interest.

Many people enjoy walking, fishing and picnicking along the edge of the lake and I have found that they are shocked at the idea of buildings replacing the current landscape.

I would be very happy to show you, and discuss further, these  features of West Basin which are so valuable in their current form.

I am,
Yours Sincerely,

Susan Robertson