canberrabirds

TF Musings

To: "'COG List'" <>
Subject: TF Musings
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2014 22:18:43 +1100
A slight change of topic, though I'm with Martin, they don't show much bother with casual human attention nearby. I suspect the nest on Mt Taylor was not successful. Christine wrote of young chicks. When I was there I could not see chicks but I know from prior nests that if the chicks are under the parent if you can't see their beaks or eyes, they are basically undetectable as the parent's feathers just merge into a grey fluffy mass and you can't see the difference. But I suspect that they were not big enough to have left by the next week. That is no proof. I heard a story years ago of someone who had observed a nesting Brown Goshawk (family) to have over a few days eaten a whole Tawny Frogmouth family.

As for theories, the only obvious point is presumably they choose their nest spots at night time and there likely isn't much human activity at those sites at night time.

Philip

-----Original Message-----From: Martin Butterfield [