canberrabirds

Honeyeater migration

To: <>
Subject: Honeyeater migration
From: "Jack & Andrea Holland" <>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2014 21:32:00 +1100
The overnight wind seems to have increased the honeyeater migration, at least at my place.  Yellow-faced HEs were calling very loudly outside my bedroom window round 6:15 am and there seemed to be more around when I went to work.  Andrea then saw at least 20 doing their typical tree top to tree top movement.  Up to this GBS week there had been just a few around, but they have been a bit more prevalent in the past week, including five I saw migrating last Friday.

Interestingly there was also a Fuscous HE in my GBS site that day, which hung around long enough for me to fetch the binos to confirm it wasn’t a White-plumed HE as it wasn’t giving its full call.

The Red Wattlebird migration I mentioned in my September Gang-gang column stopped after about a week (though there seemed to be a few doing it this morning).  Of more interest was that numbers a week or so after dropped significantly, mainly caused by the abandonment of the two main flowering ironbarks.  Why they did so is unclear, as they continued to flower profusely, and attract lots of insects, including bees.

Jack Holland