canberrabirds

Conserving woodland birds: the need for population data in evidence-base

To: CanberraBirds <>
Subject: Conserving woodland birds: the need for population data in evidence-based planning - Fenner School Seminar - Laura Rayner, Thursday 30 Oct - 2.30pm
From: "David McDonald (personal)" <>
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2014 14:41:28 +1100
From: m("anu.edu.au","fenner_school_seminars-bounces");"> m("anu.edu.au","fenner_school_seminars-bounces");"><> on behalf of Diane Jakobasch m("anu.edu.au","diane.jakobasch");"><>
Sent: Thursday, 9 October 2014 11:07
To: m("anu.edu.au","fenner_school_seminars");">

Conserving woodland birds: the need for population data in evidence-based planning

Indices of population change are frequently used to communicate important trend patterns for species. However, for such indices to assist the objectives of biological conservation, a deeper understanding of the factors that drive population change is essential. In this seminar, I present results from my PhD research where I investigated factors regulating populations of temperate woodland birds; a group considered to be in decline throughout Australia. I interogated 14 years of population monitoring data from the Australian Capital Territory (ACT) to reveal important biological responses that could not be detected in short-term data. Specifically, I show that (1) temperate woodland birds in the ACT are resilient to severe drought, (2) ecologically-informed reserve selection achieves better conservation outcomes for woodland birds, (3) the impacts of protected areas and urban development on woodland birds are interactive, and can change through time, and (4) urban encroachment exerts a significant influence over woodland bird populations in time and space. These findings represent scientific evidence that can inform conservation planning for birds occupying temperate woodland habitats, and I present key management recommendations to enhance decision making for this threatened assemblage of species.

About the speaker

Laura is a postdoctoral researcher at the Fenner School of Environment and Society. Her research focusses on biodiversity monitoring for the identification of threatening processes, and the evaluation of conservation interventions, in dynamic landscapes. Prior to starting her PhD, Laura completed a degree in Environmental Science in Sydney, and worked in the Population Assessment and Modelling Unit of the NSW Department of Environment and Climate Change. Her honours research investigated variations in tree hollow availability in the box-gum grassy woodlands of western NSW. Her current work is exploring the impact of restoration activities and urbanisation on woodland bird populations as part of The Mulligans Flat–Goorooyarroo Woodland Experiment.

Short title for tweet: Conserving woodland birds: the need for monitoring data

Please note: this seminar is running at a non-standard time

Thursday, 30 October 2014

2.30-3.30pm

Fenner Seminar Room

Frank Fenner Building, 141