canberrabirds

help with turtles

To: "" <>
Subject: help with turtles
From: "Maconachie, Michael" <>
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2014 22:06:19 +0000
  I am asking for a bit of help from COG members who visit Jerra Wetlands.

We have a good nesting population of turtles at Jerrabomberra Wetlands
including a very concentrated nesting area between the offices and Kelly's
Swamp. We know this because the foxes are digging up the nests. In this one
area we had 36 nests predated last year but also nests along Jerra Creek and
near Fyshwick. Research from around Australia has shown that foxes can account
for 90% of nests - not many hatchlings left to run the gauntlet of egrets,
goannas, foxes etc. In some areas, especially urban areas they are finding no
hatchlings in ponds. As turtles are long lived, people assume, as they see
adults, that turtles are OK. We have very limited options for fox control at
Jerra Wetlands due to its location and a cycleway through the middle. We are
trialling some fox exclusion mesh - attached photo shows friends of JW building
them yesterday.

Where I would like some help from COG members is to report any sightings of
nesting (and location), any individuals, especially hatchlings and sub-adults -
even if this is in the form of a photo of one in an egrets bill. Photos that
give an idea of size are good. We are keen to initially determine that we are
getting recruitment and therefore what role fox control might take if required.
If you do find a nest, dug up or not then please mark its location so we can
either protect the nest or mark it on a map. We have been consulting with a
turtle researcher at UC.

Thanks.

Michael Maconachie
Senior Ranger
Jerrabomberra Wetlands Nature Reserve
ACT Parks and Conservation Service
TAMS Directorate
0428 113 533

www.jerrabomberrawetlands.org

This email, and any attachments, may be confidential and also privileged. If
you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender and delete all
copies of this transmission along with any attachments immediately. You should
not copy or use it for any purpose, nor disclose its contents to any other
person.