canberrabirds

FW: [canberrabirds] Also seen at C Park yesterday

To: <>
Subject: FW: [canberrabirds] Also seen at C Park yesterday
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2014 09:02:19 +1100

Yes.  The Mb (f) is carrying a piece of stuff.  This sort of thing is said to be used to decorate the nest.  HANZAB says ‘coated or decorated outside …with castings and remains of insect larvae’.  There is a point or two to be made here.  The beginning of the nest in question was mainly a collection of wool bound with spider web, with the cavity not yet excavated.  The material collected already includes many items including insect remains, all presumably gathered up with the silk.  The main item is clumps of a kind of granular substance that I have seen in webs.  There is a question what it is.  It does not appear to be ‘remains’. I am not sure what ‘castings’  are, although I know about ‘worm castings’.  (You will get something quite different if you Google ‘Caterpillar castings’.) I do not think captured flying insects would be leaving excrement in a spider web.   There is a study (below) that indicates that some spiders gather ‘prey remains’ that look a bit like the granular substance.  I wonder if the substance is spider excrement.  Why mistletoe birds would want to gather it for a nest is another matter.

The male Mb is said not to be a usual participant in the nest building.  That does not exclude offering of services in a supervisory capacity, of course.