canberrabirds

Fw: Dogs and Dickson wetlands

To: "Canberra Birds" <>
Subject: Fw: Dogs and Dickson wetlands
From: <>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2014 10:09:06 +1000
For info – this is the response I received when I emailed about dogs and wetlands. It seems positive to me.
Wendy

Sent: Thursday, July 31, 2014 9:20 AM
Subject: RE: Dogs and Dickson wetlands

Dear Wendy

Thanks for your feedback regarding the review of dog exercise areas. The local knowledge you and others have is essential to fully appreciating all the issues involved.

Wetland areas in Canberra have historically been dog prohibited areas for ecological reasons. The more recent wetland additions in Mitchell, Gungahlin, Dickson and Lyneham have been built on open space areas that may have previously been off-leash areas. In the new maps it is proposed that the water surface at the new wetlands be reclassified as dog prohibited in keeping with other wetland areas while the surrounds are classified as on-leash.

Ultimately the ACT Government wants to achieve a suitable balance between protecting the natural environment, maintaining community enjoyment of recreational spaces and providing sufficient space for dogs to be exercised off-leash.

Your feedback has been forwarded to the project team for consideration.

Thanks

Geoff Virtue  |  Manager, Communications  |

Phone  02 6205 0312 |  Fax 02 6207 6148  |  Mobile 0418 961 806

Governance  |  Territory and Municipal Services Directorate  |  ACT Government

12 Wattle Street, Lyneham  |  GPO Box 158 Canberra ACT 2601  |  www.act.gov.au

www.tams.act.gov.au  |  Twitter  |  Flickr  |  YouTube