canberrabirds

Gooroo South woodland survey 22nd June 2014

To: "'canberrabirds'" <>, <>
Subject: Gooroo South woodland survey 22nd June 2014
From: "Steve Holliday" <>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2014 09:35:45 +1000

Prue and I did our winter survey yesterday morning. Apart from a rather foggy start, conditions were perfect. 37 species were encountered during the morning, a fairly average count for winter, although several regulars such as Speckled Warbler and Buff-rumped Thornbill were absent.

5 species of small honeyeaters were found - Yellow-faced, Fuscous, White-eared, White-plumed and Eastern Spinebill. A Brown Falcon was flushed from site 1, several Superb Parrots were at sites 4 and 5, and Scarlet Robin heard at site 8. Interesting incidental records included 4 Varied Sittellas, a Mistletoebird and a Wedge-tailed Eagle. Pardalotes of both species were in good numbers. At one stage we flushed a fox and were able to watch it being dive-bombed by 6 or 7 angry magpies as it ran across an open paddock.

There were still a few Box Mistletoes in flower but not much else. Common Froglets were calling through much of the morning. Rather surprisingly, given it was the day after the winter solstice, 4 types of butterfly were recorded, although just a single individual of each. Species involved were Cabbage White, Yellow Admiral, Australian Painted Lady and Common Grass-blue.

Steve