canberrabirds

Little Bittern

To: "'Geoffrey Dabb'" <>, <>
Subject: Little Bittern
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2014 13:12:59 +1000
Thanks Geoff, Sure it is great that we have the resources to do such a thing (built up over quite some time to create the systems to do it quickly) and that Steve put in the effort to provide the graph. I just wanted to highlight that the "surely" in your sentences actually does occur: "Of course the data compilation is largely unstructured and subject to all kinds of biases.  Surely we take those into account in making use of them." Because given a graph like that, it is easy sometimes not to do so and may give a wrong impression. I am not suggesting it is wrong in this case. It does help to actually point out the possible biases.

As for: Now Philip questions the value of counting records month by month. In this case it would help to give a count of one record only to each known or suspected single occurrence. Of course that is more difficult and also involves assumptions and a question of what to do if one bird is seen most days of one month and then into the next month........ The GBS has similar issues on a week scale and The GBS Report (and the earlier COG ABR) do to some extent, by giving monthly based abundance graphs. I would also say it is somehow more significant if a vagrant individual does stay for a long time, rather than just appear on one day. (Like the White-fronted Honeyeater that was in my yard every day for nine weeks.)

Philip

-----Original Message-----From: Geoffrey Dabb [ Sent: Friday, 13 June 2014 8:01 AM      To:
Subject: FW: [canberrabirds] Little Bittern

This seems to me to be confusing the value of Steve’s kind of graph with the deeper question:  ‘What do COG’s records really show?’ -  ie what limitations should be taken into account in their interpretation.  Of course the data compilation is largely unstructured and subject to all kinds of biases.  Surely we take those into account in making use of them.

On the face of it, there is strong evidence the Little Bittern is present here mainly in the warmer months -  although the recent sightings show that is not an invariable rule.  What is the true underlying pattern of movement?  -  as for so many Australian species we do not know.  For many species, much of the reporting cited in HANZAB under ‘Movements’ points in different directions.

Now Philip questions the value of counting records month by month  -  as in the graph.  The graph is simply a quick way of showing what the records tell us about reports over a year. These quick snapshots by Martin and now Steve have added some interest to this chatline, and I for one appreciate them.  If (subject to Steve’s patience and goodwill) you wish to go deeper you can investigate individual reports and their exact time and location  -  gain an idea of their reliability, even. This will show  whether a cluster of reports in November are attributable to a particular year and to one or a series of reporters, and – with a high degree of probability -  whether they relate to a single appearance, possibly whether more than a single bird was involved.

In short, the graph does not represent all the data held by COG.  It merely offers one way of looking at it. The question  ‘How real are these data in terms of the species presence?’ is not one that should be directed to the graph.

I am aware Philip knows all this, and merely lacked his usual clarity in _expression_.

From: Philip Veerman [ Sent: Thursday, 12 June 2014 9:50 PM      To:
Subject: RE: [canberrabirds] Little Bittern

Maybe Mark is commenting on the overall level of records of the species in our AOI. That is fine. I vaguely recall his story about When COG was surveying for the then proposed site for the National Museum at Yarramundi Reach, which I assisted in, ...... as I was involved in that too. I was commenting on the issue about whether the implication to be taken from Duncan's graph is real (as distinct from statistically correct) in suggesting there are more Little Bitterns here in the warmer months. The aspect of being cryptic is very relevant in the situation of a species being present in similar numbers all year but by its behaviour is well hidden for part of the year and easily observed at other times. I don't know if that is relevant for this species. But it could be and thus is a point I overlooked. It could also be that people are more willing to proceed to wade chest deep through the reeds during warm weather than cold, and that could influence recording rates too.

As Martin says, chatline mentions are not official records but they are a quick way of establishing a pattern of dates. Also it is not needed for each report (especially of repeats) to make it to the Rarities Panel to be officially on the record. Although them having several is better than none or one if helps or it is important enough.