canberrabirds

Straw-necked ibis flying 'the coil' and Common Bronzewing/cat

To: COG <>
Subject: Straw-necked ibis flying 'the coil' and Common Bronzewing/cat
From: jude hopwood <>
Date: Sun, 6 Apr 2014 10:14:32 +1000
Dear Bird-lovers,

1. A few days ago I observed a flock of 30 - 35 Straw-necked ibis very gradually making their way north from above Komungla, SW of Goulburn -34.863725, 149.640870
using the style described by Ross Kelly on April 4. There was one difference, however, with occasional breaks to make a ragged 'v' formation, pointing North, then return to the 'coil'.  After about 10 minutes, they formed a perfect 'v' and flew off directly North. One of the lovely sights birds provide us.

2. At Edendale, Currawang, -34.968194, 149.508799
 we have been privileged to play host to a Common Bronzewing pair for some weeks until our new neighbours moved in, bringing with them a cat, which, they vehemently claimed, couldn't catch anything 'although he brought home a rabbit on his first night'. We now have one Bronzewing, surprisingly and disturbingly, becoming less nervy around human activity, perhaps encouraged by the many birds who have accepted our presence. Double barred finches never fall for that out here, always remaining a goodly distance once they spot us.
However, why is it that cat owners cling to the fiction that their cat never kills anything?  After having wonderful views of a family of 3 Eastern Spinebills foraging in our yard and house paddocks, we wonder where the female and juvenile went to, with Dad hanging around very vocally, and being cheeky enough to fly a circuit through the back verandah windows to get to the next flowering shrub, but, alas, always now solitary.

Respectfully,
Jude.