canberrabirds

Gang Gang and COG survey question

To: "'Canberra Birds'" <>
Subject: Gang Gang and COG survey question
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2014 16:01:19 +1100
Paul is certainly right with his first point (to reduce repetition, I will edit out the rest). It is far from a new issue nor one unique to us. Raw number of records is also very much an issue about the number of visits to the site by people who report results. If I am reading an ABR I am satisfied with a comment alerting the reader to the likelihood that a particular bird or group has been recorded many times, if that is what appears likely. That is perfectly understandable to me. Then again we should not overestimate it. Many studies, when banding birds, have also shown that what people have assumed to be the same birds present at a location over a long period, have in fact been many more individuals than the casual observers had believed it to be.

I point out that the structure of the GBS and the different use of statistics A, W, R, G & F specifically address the main issue about repeat counts. Such that one bird present at 1 site on 2 weeks has double the value of A, W, G, R, but not F of one bird present at 1 site on 1 week. But not if it is recorded at another site in the same week (W would differ). Other combinations will set other comparisons. The GBS is at an advantage because it has a regular structure. Other surveys have the same questions but the same questions become harder to answer.

Repeat counts are also useful for setting first and last dates, so don't discount their usefulness.