canberrabirds

Lorikeets in Hughes (and Gang-Gangs)

To: "'Martin Butterfield'" <>, "'Mark Clayton'" <>
Subject: Lorikeets in Hughes (and Gang-Gangs)
From: "Paul Fennell" <>
Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2014 13:35:25 +1100

While the Rainbow Lorikeets first seen in Canberra may well have been intrepid escapees rather than intrepid explorers blazing new trails through the ranges from the coast, it is quite clear to me that there has been a significant presence of the species around Hawker for a number of years, both in summer and in winter.

The other day approximately 50-60 were observed in one group in Marrakai St Hawker, near a house where it was assumed the residents were feeding them.  Prior to that, groups of 8 to 10 have been reported as far back as 2001 in Hawker. At my house in Scullin at least 2, and up to 6 birds were observed daily feeding in the very large banksia tree near our front door.  They were there every day, summer and winter.  Since we have removed the tree, we get Rainbow Lorikeets in the yard much less frequently (still 2 banksias left), but observe small flocks regularly flying by.

I need no further evidence to convince me there is a viable long-term, wild, breeding population in South Belconnen.

Cheers

Paul

Paul Fennell

Editor Annual Bird Report