canberrabirds

lorikeets at cottesloe

To: Birds Canberra <>
Subject: lorikeets at cottesloe
From: Elizabeth Compston <>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2014 17:27:11 +1100
I stayed at Cottesloe in February for a couple of weeks. Wonderful place and
not one shark did I see and I went swimming every day.  But the rainbow
lorikeets!!  They fly, in large numbers every afternoon late, starting about 15
minutes before sunset, into the Norfolk Island pines on Forrest Street, close
to the beach  It is a wonderful sight.  They argue and dispute till shortly
after the sun sets, over the ocean.  There must be hundreds, thousands of them.
 I have not been there when a gale is blowing.

At Perth airport, if you arrive at night, the lorikeets are in the trees there,
making a huge did.  I don't know when those birds sleep bacause the lights
there are on all night

They certainly have displaced the Twenty Eight parrots.  No lorikeets when I
was growing up, a bit earlier than Nick, in the '30s and '40s

In Fremantle, on the Esplanade, in a Monterey, not pine, which is hanging over
the road, and the council wants to cut the tree, there were 4 Rufous Night
herons.  They had nested in those trees and  I believe that those birds stay
around over winter.  Not easy to see as they. and their nests, were high in
dense foliage.

The nest of the ospreys at Devil's Elbow fell into the Swan River. It had been
precarious for some time.  I was not able to find where the ospreys had gone.
I had been observing that nest for years, and each time that I saw it, in a
dead, not very big tree, I would think that it would be gone next time, over
the years.  We saw osprey chicks in it, being fed, on several occasions

I saw a fairy tern, twice on the beach at the foot of Salvado Street.  In the
after noon as long as there was a sea breeze, the kite surfers were there,
great to watch

Elizabeth