canberrabirds

Bird for ID: Namadgi to Karratha

To: "'Mark Clayton'" <>, "'Margaret Leggoe'" <>, <>
Subject: Bird for ID: Namadgi to Karratha
From: "Steve Read" <>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2014 21:07:17 +1100

Hi all

As soon as I saw the Jim’s pictures from Karratha, forwarded by Margaret

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jim_bendon_1957/13504643964/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jim_bendon_1957/12870582744/

I recognised this as the bird I saw at Namadgi Visitors Centre on Sun 23 February this year. OK, not the same individual, but I am now happy to make a species identification of my Namadgi unknown!

The attached email posted to the chatline contains my description of the Namadgi bird, identified at the time as either an female/immature White-winged Triller or a female Rufous Songlark, and mentioned as either possibility by Jack Holland in the March Gang-Gang  Excellent pictures of these alternative species from Geoffrey Dabb and others didn’t completely resolve the issue. I was leaning towards the Songlark, but that is a bird with which I am not familiar, and there was a male Triller reasonably nearby, which confused things.

But the pictures of the Karratha bird fit very well.  The Namadgi bird was the same in its features, and just a few cm smaller and with a brown bill, indicating a female. Sometimes the loop is closed!

Steve