canberrabirds

Creative writing, new website

To: Julian Robinson <>, canberrabirds chatline <>
Subject: Creative writing, new website
From: John Harris <>
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2014 23:34:30 +0000
Julian, I for one think you have done well and thank you for your work on improving the site.
I offer two comments. Your dot points sound friendly and encouraging to a prospective new member. I would just prefer that you do not use ‘Birds will love you’  because it’s a bit childish and not actually true and therefore not a true reason to join.
Second, as a fairly new member, I had a lot of trouble working out how to report on line so I hope that aspect of the site has been improved. First you had to know to go via the atlas and then the system seemed unduly complex with too many steps. Also it was often reluctant to accept changes if for example you wanted to go back and correct the survey code because you had forgotten to make it COG. Or dumb things I do like letting my finger slip and clicking yes for GPS when I meant No. If I did not discover this until I saved the file, it would demand coordinates and not let me go back and fix it. I do know some long term members who have gone back to paper reports for these kind of reasons.
Julian, none of these are intended to be anything but helpful. I am just an ordinary member and I am a beneficiary of the sincere handwork of people like yourself and I appreciate what you do for us.
Cheers
John