canberrabirds

AOI - Currawang White-browed Woodswallows nests

To: COG <>
Subject: AOI - Currawang White-browed Woodswallows nests
From: jude hopwood <>
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2014 17:36:41 +1100
Dear All,

Martin emailed re: White-browed Woodswallows. Our personal stock here is enormous, and there are many nests which are at eye level and involve a lot of bad language from the parents when you pass by.

When placing their young on the ground for snake feeding practice, the parents are quite upset when humans walk by and nearly tread on them, or if they've parked them neatly in the middle of the driveway!  Now, many young have just left nests all around our house area - the worst chosen site I've attached an image of is a 12 foot high hollow steel post - at least seven nests identified, but rather more around judging by the numbers of parents carrying food to many different sites. The parents are very aggressive in defending their young, especially those responsible for  the nest closest to our house - dubbed KFC for predators by Greg as it sits neatly on top of a Pittosporum hedge lining a footpath used many times a day by the two of us.

For someone who had never seen a WBWS until the week before the inundation, I do rather feel as if I've almost seen enough of them!

Respectfully,
Jude