canberrabirds

Lewin's Rail in Forde, I think.

To: "COG_Mailing_List " <>
Subject: Lewin's Rail in Forde, I think.
From: John Brown <>
Date: Sat, 4 Jan 2014 10:44:50 +0000

I am fairly confident I saw a Lewin's Rail in Forde this afternoon, on the side of the bike path at -35.172175, 149.146030 (I was riding to Mulligan's Flat)

I jumped off my bike and followed in around a bit without binoculars or a camera at hand. I didn't get a good look at its head, bill or front, but there was clearly no white at all on its back, rather distinctive Rufous/brown and black feathers; also barred under tail, so I am pretty confident.

However, there are no records of Lewin's rail in Forde or nearby on Eremaea Birds or Birdata which makes me a little nervous. Have others seen them in or near this area?

John

---

John Brown