canberrabirds

koels

Subject: koels
From: Terry Munro <>
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2013 22:20:47 +1100
Yesterday I heard a lot of Koel ruckus in the green belt between Dowling St, Blair St, & Andrews St. Watson close to my home in Higinbotham St.
Two females were sitting close (meter) in a tall Euc making three to four regular shrill calls while watching two males playing chasings around around the area. The males were also making their wooping calls. Eventually one of the males peeled off & started chasing one of the females. After a while the males reverted to their hostilities. This activity continued for around fifteen to twenty minutes.At one stage I believe there could have been a further female involved but it was difficult to be sure as Koels seemed to be everywhere.
As result of this I will keep a close watch on new Wattlebirds nest & a Magpie Larks nest that I have found close to this activity
Terry Munro