canberrabirds

ID help

To: "'COG bird discussions'" <>
Subject: ID help
From: "David Cook" <>
Date: Sun, 1 Dec 2013 18:15:02 +1100
Philip’s reply about juvenile harrier rump colour has got me thinking about a photo I took recently near Cameron Corner, in north-east South Australia. It is of a harrier, and obviously a young one, but because it has a dark rump I have identified it (probably mis-identified) as a Spotted Harrier. I think I have always assumed that pale rump = Swamp Harrier and dark rump = Spotted Harrier.

It troubled me at the time because of the dark rump, and because I thought it looked more like a Swamp Harrier. What do you think?

David