canberrabirds

[canberrabirds] Peregrine Falcons on Bondi VET (Channel 10 TV)

To: Peter Ormay <>
Subject: [canberrabirds] Peregrine Falcons on Bondi VET (Channel 10 TV)
From: Peter Shute <>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2013 15:16:07 +1100
Against my better judgement, I just watched it on the ten website.

They had streaked breast plumage rather than barred, and at one point he said
the first one was "a young adult, from the plumage", so he was aware of the
plumage difference. But I wasn't able to see anything that would indicate they
might not have fledged yet. Perhaps a tiny bit of down on top of the head?

I assume they couldn't be breeding in that plumage. How old would they have to
be?

He may have been fooled by the fact that the building staff captured them, yet
the nest was 20m below the roof of a high building. No matter where they were
caught, roof or ground, they could only have flown there, yet couldn't or
wouldn't fly when approached. To someone who didn't know what stage they were
at, that wouldn't really add up to them being fledglings.

He may have simply believed the staff's opinion that they were the adults, and
then the need to include something in the show other than more bloody dogs took
over.

For those who can't be bothered watching it on the web site, all 5 minutes or
so of it, interspersed with 55 minutes of ads and dog kissing, in an interface
that doesn't allow fast forward or rewind, they were released on top of the
building in the last minute of the show. One flew off and began soaring, the
other glided to the roof of a nearby building. That seemed like a risky process
with birds that might not be able to fly, but might be frightened enough to try.

The birds were fed for a few days, and one was treated with antibiotics for
"thrush", so probably no harm done? Do peregrines abandon their young if
they've been handled like this? Do they still feed them after fledging?

Peter Shute

Sent from my iPad