canberrabirds

An unusual year for sandpipers - a late comment

To: chat line <>
Subject: An unusual year for sandpipers - a late comment
From: John Harris <>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2013 22:57:03 +0000
This is a very important conversation. The abundance of birds vs the abundance of observers is a very difficult piece of algebra for our hard-working COG statisticians to solve.  I have unwittingly found myself involved in an aspect of this dilemma. In the Blitz I reported observing both the Azure Kingfisher and the Hooded Robin. It was a bit scary to find that there is a prize for the most doubtful tick! I fear I am in the running for 1st, 2nd and possibly 3rd prize!
But there is an interesting issue here, not just whether a bird was wrongly or too hopefully IDed. The good COG folk have, quite rightly, been in contact with me to discuss these observations and I am grateful for their care and enthusiasm. Among the observations made to me was that IF I was correct about the Hooded Robins, that would be exciting because they had not generally been reported from here before - presumably ‘here’ means Gungahlin. But I have seen them here before. I have already seen and reported them this year prior to the Blitz but only in the GBS which COG won’t have yet. I have seen them in previous years. It’s just that I was not a member of COG until 2012. I live backing onto on Ginninderra Creek and Percival Hill and I have been actively making and recording my own observations here for the past 13 years. I just never got around to joining COG (but I am glad I did.)

So I was interested in the recent reporting of a Black Honeyeater and the ensuing emails. I have seen those too, several times in the past 13 years, although not yet this year, not with certainty since several clear sightings in 2011, before I joined COG. So I think the comments made about the frequency of wader species at Jerrabombera vs Lake Bathurst is cogent here. It has much to do with the frequency of observers. When I joined COG, it interested me greatly that in my grid cell, K11, only 8 record sheets and been submitted in 2011-12, compared with well over 200 in some grid cells. It gave me a kind of motivation to change that statistic. But it does underline the truth that frequencies of the lesser-observed species are very sensitive to the number of observers and observations in a given year.  We must take care in implying  that certain species are not found or not commonly found on, say, Percival Hill or even Gungahlin, if, like Lake Bathurst, the site is rarely reported on. There may be more Black Honeyeaters than we think, given that the highest frequency of observers is in the generally older and more urban parts of the ACT which perhaps they avoid.
 For what it’s worth, I have not seen the Azure Kingfisher nor the Blue-winged Parrot since the Blitz, but then I haven’t spent 3 hours on Percival Hill either, only about an hour. I continue to observe Hooded Robins.

Cheers
John