canberrabirds

Another random raptor obs at home

To: "'Birds Canberra'" <>
Subject: Another random raptor obs at home
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2013 22:23:01 +1100

As sometimes happens when collecting my clothes of the wash line, at 6:20 p.m. today:

I heard a rough cackling sound, I recognise as a Peregrine Falcon, to then look up and see it as it was flying above the house. Appeared to be sharing spirals of air with a Wedge-tailed Eagle (although the latter was slightly higher but there appeared to have been some interaction between them). My usual indecision about whether to rush inside to grab the binoculars to be certain, as what are the chances that I can find them again…. I did go in, which takes about 40 seconds and luckily when I got out again it was still calling, and allowing a clear view, otherwise I would not have found them both, as they were by then in a very different part of the sky.

Just shows again the general randomness of finding the odd passer by and questions as to what is missed, as I was I inside the house most of the day.

Although (from memory) there would be few (if any), years that I have not recorded both species from my home.