canberrabirds

Woodswallows, etc

To: <>
Subject: Woodswallows, etc
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2013 14:56:00 +1100
I went to Campbell Park with Tun Pin Ong late on Thursday afternoon. I got
to count about half the number of White-browed and exactly half the number
of Masked Woodswallows there that John reports at New Line Paddock. A least
one pair of White-browed Woodswallows were starting nest building. Lots of
other nesting and likely nesting, other species there, including the
attended nests of Buff-rumped Thornbill and White-throated Gerygone he had
found before. I found Brown-headed Honeyeaters with dy.

Similarly lots of White-winged Trillers but I've only found males so far
this year and not just because females are brown. So I am wondering have
females not arrived yet or are they all quietly on nests?

I also saw White-browed Woodswallows at Kambah Pool yesterday flying very
high and heard them again about 45 minutes ago over my home.

Another comment of curiosity seen from the Kambah Pool car park yesterday, a
Brown Goshawk appeared briefly flying very high along the top of Bullen
Range and vanished on the far side. 5 to 10 minutes later a Brown Falcon
appeared from about the same spot and then hovered for a few minutes in the
wind going along the river valley. In cases with several people seeing
either bird I can imagine the debate "what was that raptor? I think it was a
..... No it was a......."