canberrabirds

ANSWERS to Uses of Bird Photography, revisited #4

To: <>
Subject: ANSWERS to Uses of Bird Photography, revisited #4
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2013 13:08:26 +1100

The answers to the below, so far as I understand them, are as follows

All were photographed at Werribee last week.

1.        A Sanderling (one of 3) with a Red-necked Stint on the tidal flats in front of the hide

2.       2 of 6 Ruddy Turnstones on a levee dividing conservation ponds.  These 2 were possibly the most strongly marked, but I cannot speak as to age or exact stage in the plumage cycle

3.       A Wood Sandpiper feeding in company of a Greenshank.  I only picked the Wood by reason of that constant tail-bobbing.  Chequering in wings is also evident.

4.       Greenshank, this time with a Marsh Sandpiper (which can look like a smaller version of the Greenshank)

Thanks to all who offered their thoughts.  It was quite difficult, I thought.  However Mark Clayton and Bob Rusk got them all

I omitted the abundant Sharpies and the Curlew Sandpipers.  I met Danny Rogers doing some counting.  He pointed out a Pectoral Sandpiper to me, but it disappeared into the veg before I could photograph it.  There were also reports of a  Terek Sandpiper but I didn’t come across that