canberrabirds

Fw: BIRD'S NEST PIC

To: "'Tony Lawson'" <>, "'COG chatline'" <>
Subject: Fw: BIRD'S NEST PIC
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2013 22:24:14 +1100
I assume it is fairly small and is of the same substance and structure
throughout, in which case I agree with Mark. (If not then it could be two
quite unrelated nests.) I don't know if any other Thornbills do similar but
that one certainly does. Beruldsen's book says for Yellow-rumped Thornbill
nest: "Like that of A pusilla (Brown Thornbill ) except more untidy and
includes on top of the dome, a roughly made cup shaped hollow or false nest
that is left unlined............" He doesn't mention the same for other
Thornbills.

Philip

-----Original Message-----From: Mark Clayton
Sent: Tuesday, 15 October 2013 8:35 PM  To: 'Tony Lawson'; 'COG chatline'

Tony,

Looks a bit like a dilapidated Yellow-rumped Thornbill nest. They usually
have a false entrance to fool (?) possible nest predators/parasites.

Mark

-----Original Message-----From: Tony Lawson
Sent: Tuesday, 15 October 2013 1:39 PM
To: COG chatline        Subject: [canberrabirds] Fw: BIRD'S NEST PIC

Can anyone help identify this nest?

Is it a double storey nest, used by 2 different species?

It was about  1.2 m from the ground

Photographed in the Arboretum last week in a Dupreziana .

Tony