canberrabirds

Mt Ainslie- West. Spring

To: "COG List" <>
Subject: Mt Ainslie- West. Spring
From: "boy nature" <>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2013 23:44:41 -0400

West Mount Ainslie this morning I saw some of usual birds that I havent seen for a while. It is very heavily grazed so not many flowers on plants, which is a shame. Cloud cover 100% light cloud. Wind 2.

Behind Campbell/CSIRO-  2 red wattlebirds, 1 noisy friarbird,  2 flocks of total 18 WW choughs. 12 crimson rosellas. 1 Black faced cuckoo shrike. 7 noisy miners. (13 species)

In flower were the white heath Cryptandra amara, a very tall Indigofera Australis (3m) and yellow, & green and red grevillea flowered plants (hybrids), Ploughshare wattles, cootamundra wattle.

Allocasurina/Kurrajong patch (above electricity sub-station).- 4 noisy friarbirds vocalising loudly, 6 grey fantails within 15m diameter., 5 white winged choughs. 1 BFCS. (12 species)

Brittlegum/Wattle deep gully- Finally got a good MFF. 3 golden whistlers (adult male, adult female, half coloured male), 17 yellow faced honeyeaters calling loudly, White throated treecreeper.  2 kookaburras. One crested pigeon- which seemed quite a dense area for a CP (15 species)

Found a good patch of purple and yellow flowered (anthers) Stypandra glauca (which are quite rare), and allocasuarinas in flower. Cootamundra wattle.

Also on the 2nd September and again on the 8th I had a striated pardalote calling loudly and it also investigated a 'hollow' just under my window sill. I hope they come back.

Benj Whitworth