canberrabirds

PhD koel/wattlebird project

To: <>
Subject: PhD koel/wattlebird project
From: Virginia Abernathy <>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2013 08:54:29 +1000
Dear COG members,

For those of you that don't know, I am a new PhD student at ANU working under Dr. Naomi Langmore studying brood parasitism of the Pacific Koel. Here in Canberra, the koel's primary host is the Red Wattlebird, however, up north they have also used the Noisy Friarbird and Magpie-lark. I am searching for these host nests and performing egg and koel recognition experiments at the nest to determine if these species are "naive" or if they have had enough time to evolve defenses against the koel.

I would be very grateful if anyone sees/finds wattlebird, friarbird, or magpie-lark nests if they would let me know. I know wattlebirds have already been nesting and so far I have "parasitized" seven nests! But I also know wattlebirds like to nest in people's yards and gardens, as I actually found one in my front yard yesterday! So, if you have one in your yard and don't mind me coming over to perform these two experiments I would be very appreciative. The stage of the nest doesn't matter as I am focusing on both the egg and nestling stages. Even more importantly though, if parasitized nests are found or if koel nestlings or fledgelings are discovered, I would be extremely appreciative if I could be notified. It would be such a big help to my project, but also, I hope to increase our understanding of the natural history of these species through observation. In addition, if anyone has any tips or literature that might be of use I would greatly appreciate that as well. My school email is  Thanks everyone!

Cheers,
Virginia