canberrabirds

Strange Bedfellows

To: <>
Subject: Strange Bedfellows
From: "Phil Malin" <>
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2013 22:18:18 +1000
Here are 2 birds that you don’t expect to get in the same frame all that often. I ended up at the zoo last Friday, and in amongst all the exotic animals I found a (wild) cormorant wedged in between 2 peacocks that were feeding around one of the artificial lakes.

Zoo

Despite the fact the environment where I found them in is obviously as artificial as they come, I was surprised how readily the cormorant was prepared to stand its ground given the size difference between the birds. It was receiving the occasional peck from both left and right, but managed to return fire with its long bill. In hindsight I probably should have made a greater effort to get some decent DoF, instead of just firing off a few frames on the way through. Still an interesting combination though.

Cheers
Phil