canberrabirds

New bird

To: <>
Subject: New bird
From: <>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2013 14:48:49 +1000
Mark/Con/Phillip/All,

Many thanks for that.

I'll pass the info on.

Cheers,

Bruce.

-----Original Message----- From: Philip Veerman
Sent: Tuesday, May 28, 2013 10:52 AM

Yes that enquiry comes in several times a year (around Australia). Just in
my big tree in my yard, I have had two separate records (different birds on
different years, one pair together as I recall of the usual green type and
one all yellow one) and I saw one green one on Mt Taylor about 2-4 years
ago. At quick looks green ones could be mistaken for Superb Parrots (but are
much stockier with different colours on the head). It helps a lot to
increase the brightness on the photo Bruce sent in, to see that it is green.

There is an email chat group called "Feral Naturalised Parrots" (or
something like that) which I think is based in the USA, that tracks these
phenomena. There are many other species of parrots (surprisingly mostly
South American) as well as this one (from Asia) that are now common as
ferals in several cities in the USA and elsewhere.