canberrabirds

Kurrajongs & Bowerbirds on Mt Ainslie

To: "'Canberrabirds'" <>
Subject: Kurrajongs & Bowerbirds on Mt Ainslie
From: "Jack & Andrea Holland" <>
Date: Fri, 17 May 2013 13:00:20 +1000
Benj/Robin/Philip, I can relate to two of these experiences.

Pied Currawongs have been feeding on the seeds of the planted kurrajongs on Chauvel Circle for the past couple of months, and I’ve often heard the maracas sound while they’ve been doing this.  For  a fruit we used to call itchy bark and try slip down our friends clothes etc while we were at school in the 1950s it’s a surprising food source.

Over the past couple of weeks the Satin Bowerbird has moved into my GBS site with a maximum number of 10, including a rare sighting of a full male.  This is the largest number for at least five years.  I haven’t seen them near the kurrajongs, possibly because the fruit has now largely gone.  White-winged choughs are only an infrequent visitor to my GBS site.

Jack Holland