canberrabirds

Jindalee NP - 12/5

To: canberra birds <>
Subject: Jindalee NP - 12/5
From: Marnix Zwankhuizen <>
Date: Sun, 12 May 2013 18:45:30 +1000
I thought I'd post a brief report from my trip to Jindalee National Park today.
Although outside the COG AOI I realise many of us have visited this site and
may be interested.

Nothing was flowering from what I could see. All up i recorded 44 species at
Jindalee.

First stop at the Burley Griffin Way entrance and not many birds to start with.
Then a Spotted Harrier cruised over and a couple of mixed feeding flocks were
found further in. Two Superb Parrots also flew over, later a Hobby passed over
and 4 species of robin were recorded.

At the Berthong Rd section again very quiet apart from the large numbers of
Pied Currawongs and Silvereyes of the chestnut-flanked variety passing through.

It was great to still see Apostlebirds, with a flock of 10 foraging along
Berthong Rd. A flock of some 500 Little Ravens in a paddock near Dudauman.

Unfortunately no sign of any babblers anywhere.

On the drive home a large mature White-bellied Sea-eagle being harassed by a
pair of magpies landed in a field metres from the Hume Highway near Yass.

A very enjoyable trip.

Marnix