canberrabirds

Recommended birding spots en route fromAdelaise to Canberra

To: <>
Subject: Recommended birding spots en route fromAdelaise to Canberra
From: "Sue-Ellen and Ray" <>
Date: Sun, 12 May 2013 11:06:22 +1000
Hi all – We had the task of picking up a Kimberley Karavan in Adelaide and the decided to gain experience with the new toy by camping at various locations along the way back to Canberra.
First up was the Gluepot Reserve (South Australia)  managed and run by Birdlife Australia and their great band of volunteers. Attached is a copy of the home page from their website which is well worth a read. There are a number of camp sites (good large size on typical sandy Mallee red soil) on the reserve, drop toilets are provided but you need to be self sufficient for everything else you may need. They have a a very good informative Information Centre and there is always a resident “vollie” to provide guidance. The day fee is $10. The walks are excellent, very well signposted with a number containing bird hides adjacent to what they call “water tanks” which in reality are a half drums of water suspended above the ground. Birds gather at these sites in large numbers as these usually are their only source of water. We got a good listing of birds over the two days which I have put up on Eremaea.
We also camped at spots along the Murray and Murrumbidgee Rivers but the next area worthy of special mention is Weddin Mountains National Park( near Grenfell NSW). There are two camping sites, one on the western side of the mountain(Ben Hall) and the other on the eastern side(Holy Camp). We camped at Ben Hall – again drop toilets provided but you need your own water etc. No fees charged. It is a beautiful Park well worthy of visit being only about 2.5 hours drive from Canberra. A good selection of birds including the Peregrine falcon, turquoise parrots, lots of honeyeaters,babblers,song larks etc. I recall COG members have previously reported on Weddin so I add my name to promoting this lovely Park.

Good birding

Ray Comer
0407484593

<<< text/html; name="BirdLife Australia Gluepot Reserve.htm": Unrecognized >>>