canberrabirds

Migration in Namadgi and other obs

To: "canberrabirds chatline" <>
Subject: Migration in Namadgi and other obs
From: "Julian Robinson" <>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2013 09:26:49 +1000

Migrations were in full swing at Glendale and less so at Yankee Hat carpark, in Namadgi yesterday.  Some might have just been milling around, but most at Glendale  were heading east or north east in slowly moving foraging groups.  Young birds were conspicuously present.  There were surprisingly few Yellow-faced Honeyeaters.  I also saw large groups of ‘honeyeaters’ crossing the murrumbidgee when driving through Tharwa (about 300,100 in two groups).  My numbers are minimums, there could have been many more because they were in the bush rather than flying over.

Glendale

-----------

Only 30 Yellow-face Honeyeaters

500 White-naped HE

50 White-eared HE (most in 1’s or 2’s but one group of 8)

30 Red Wattlebirds (hard to tell, they seemed to be drifting north)

6 Eastern Spinebills (going nowhere afaics)

20 Fuscous HE (also not going anywhere particular)

70 Silvereyes (heading south west)

3 Scarlet Robins

Yankee Hat Carpark (nothing obviously moving, though I suppose the Robins were on their way through)

------------------------

25 Flame Robin

10 Scarlet Robin

28 Dusky Woodswallows still around

2 Brown-headed Honeyeaters

4 Diamond Firetails lining a roosting nest

1 Speckled Warbler foraging around the picnic table, unusually close to people.

1 Spotless Crake (I think, flushed on Hospital Ck, essentially black, smallish crake-looking bird)

50 Yellow-rumped Thornbills

3 Brown Falcon

The Flame Robins were everywhere, the Ranger said there were many more towards Yankee Hat.