canberrabirds

FW: Barn Owl at Tuggeranong The Good Guys

To: "'COG_Mailing_List'" <>
Subject: FW: Barn Owl at Tuggeranong The Good Guys
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2013 00:34:42 +1000
There were no other birds at all, near the owl, when I was there (and one
other). Curious that all photos are of the front of the bird (maybe because
a photo from behind would require standing on Athllon Drive). But their back
and wings are very pretty.

Philip

-----Original Message-----From: Tun Pin ONG
Sent: Friday, 12 April 2013 11:57 PM    To: Philip Veerman; COG_Mailing_List
Subject: Barn Owl at Tuggeranong The Good Guys

Hi Canberran birders,

I am happy that there were at least 3 other birders who had confirmed my
sighting.

Looks like it was a good move to decide sending out the announcement over
the lunch with my other non birders colleagues.

This morning while on my way to work I overheard some commotion of Noisy
Miners across the street. It was when I also heard the noise from
Magpie-Lark, umm... 2 species of birds which do not often sing together...
could be an owl or possum or something unusual.

I followed the noise and there I immediately saw the shape and back of a
barn owl-like bird. I walked back to my desk to fetch my camera (not sure if
this is a good practice to keep gears at workplace) and it was still there.
The Magpie Larks were very agitated with its presence and the Australian
Magpie almost pecked on it. The was also a Pied Currawong perched higher up
keeping an eye on the owl.

I did not bother to report it to the group immediately as I would expect the
Barn Owl to fly off soon afterwards as it might not stand the harassment
from so many other birds. To my surprise, it was still there when I checked
it out during lunchtime and all the other birds had given up of harassing it
due to its perseverance. This is when I have decided to share it to the
group as I think it would likely be around for a while, at least for the
rest of the day.

Below are photos taken today. A bit weird to shoot it with so many cars
passing by.

http://500px.com/photo/30820565
http://500px.com/photo/30820579

Kind regards,