canberrabirds

Do (or how do) people record the Greylag geese on LBG

To: "'John Brown'" <>, "'COG_Mailing_List'" <>
Subject: Do (or how do) people record the Greylag geese on LBG
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2013 00:36:31 +1000
Greylag Geese are the wild ancestral species from which the domestic goose was developed and does not exist here as a wild species. The name of the original species is not normally used in Australia. It is a domestic (often free range) and feral locally. It is in Wilson's book under the name Domestic Goose. Some still look close to the original species, others don't (similar story with Mallards, Muscovy Duck, Turkey, Chicken, etc). Do people bother to keep records of them?

Philip

-----Original Message-----From: John Brown [ Sent: Sunday, 7 April 2013 9:56 PM
To: COG_Mailing_List       Subject: [canberrabirds] Do (or how do) people record the Greylag geese on LBG

I am new to this list, although did post once or twice several years ago.

I have been a birdwatcher for years, but am just starting to take it a bit more seriously. My applications for COG and Birdlife Australia are in the mail ;)

I've also decided to focus on local birds for a change. Normally I just bird watch opportunistically while travelling. Despite having lists dating from 1992, today felt like my first day as a twitcher, because I went out and recorded 41 species on by bike doing a lap of Lake Burley Griffin (LBG) as the start of a list to see how many ACT birds I can see this year.

Now to my question. I saw several of what appeared to be Greylag Geese on LBG. They don't appear in birdata.com.au on LBG, and are absent from the Wilson/COG, 1999 list, although the later includes Domestic Goose as an 'unusual bird'. I am wondering if/how local birders record these geese?

Also, I have been unable to find an ACT check list on birdlife.org.au despite a link from the COG site to birdlife.org.au for the Christidis & Boles (2008) list. Where can I get a copy of the Christidis & Boles (2008) list? And/or can I access and up-to-the-minute official list of birds that have been seen in the ACT?

John

---

John Brown