canberrabirds

West Belconnen Pond

To: COG List <>
Subject: West Belconnen Pond
From: martin butterfield <>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2013 18:25:52 +1100
The editors of Gang-gang may wish to use thefollowing as the trip report.

"27 members and guests gathered at West Belconnen Ponds at 8:30.  Many birds also gathered, and we had a list of 20 species before starting our walk around the pond.  Despite the very dry weather recently water levels were still high, with very little exposed mud.
"The least common birds seen were 5 Freckled Duck observed swimming, preening and skulking under fringing vegetation. A couple of common species were notable for large large numbers:
  • a flock of 100+ coromorants of several species (but probably 90+% Little Black Cormorants) were flying up and down the pond as well as fishing successfully; and
  • 10 Great Egrets were an interesting sight, setting "biggest flock seen in the ACT" records for a number of the group.
"Two male Mallards appeared to be in almost 'true' species plumage which is uncommon in the area.  Unusual behaviour was shown by a Eurasian Coot which had captured a fish and appeared a little uncertain what to do with it (beyond keeping it away from a flock of pursuing Pacific Black Ducks).

"Despite being so close to the NSW border the only bird of geographic contention was a Black-shouldered Kite which eventually resolved its status by flying into the ACT and across the pond.

"All told we recorded 42 species, a list of which will appear on the COG website in due course."

I have put some images and a few words on my blog.

The editors may wish to include in the "future trips" section of Gang-gang (and arrange for inclusion on the COG website)  the following.

"The April mid-month walk will start at Pine Island at 8:30 on 17 April 2013.  The walk will be a loop or out and back from that area.  Confirmation will be by email close to the date."