canberrabirds

Sick spinebill in Civic

Subject: Sick spinebill in Civic
From: pardalote <>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2013 20:07:58 +1100
Hi All

At around 2:00 pm today, I encountered a young eastern spinebill shivering on the ground behind the little terracotta brick building at the bus depot in Civic.  It was clearly a young bird as it had no distinctive markings on its chest; it was in varying shades of olive and brown.  I crouched down beside it for a few minutes and it and it opened its eyes, looked at me, then closed them again.  I was crouching only 40cm away and it did not make any effort to move.  There was no sign of any of its parents.  I decided to pick it up and put it somewhere out of the way of pedestrians, but it squirmed free of my grip before flying to the base of one of the trees next to the small building.  At that point I left, there was nothing else I could do.

Does anyone know how I might approach these situations in future?

Matt.