canberrabirds

Update on Goshawk: Is someone available to band this bird

To: "'Mark Clayton'" <>
Subject: Update on Goshawk: Is someone available to band this bird
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2013 16:17:32 +1100
Fine. I suspect your magpie and others would have been turning up all over northern Kaleen looking for handouts long before this one was caught and banded. Only that after banding it would be identifiable. If it wasn't banded, you would have even less of an idea what happened to it. More to the point, it may well have become tame and dependent in the time it was cared for, but surely this is nothing to do with the band. Someone near me feeds the collection of close to 30 to 50 magpies almost every day and I have some of these around my house that will come to me for food too.

I wouldn't expect a goshawk caught in the bush and held for only a short time to become so tame. As for The practice has been stopped because there was little returns of rehabilitated birds away from their release point I understand that. Are the returns greater from remote locations? If the emphasis is on obtaining data showing little movement, well that is good data too, as was discussed a few months ago about what we know of longevity of resident species from banding.

But if the wisdom is it is not worth the bother or expense, that is an opportunity lost but fine with me.