canberrabirds

Newline

To: "'Sue Lashko'" <>, "'canberrabirds chatline'" <>
Subject: Newline
From: "Mark Clayton" <>
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2013 08:30:10 +1100

Sue,

The most obvious choice would be a Brush-tailed Possum; I don’t think Newline is all that good for Ring-tailed Possums and Sugar Gliders. The other possibility could be a snake of some sort. Many years ago working in a swamp in the Booligal region I had the job of climbing trees growing in water checking holes for nesting duck species, mostly Pacific Black Ducks and Grey Teal. I had a torch that was just about to die and had been feeling around inside a hole to check for eggs. I didn’t feel anything and had one last look with what was left in the torch. All I could see was a curious flicking movement. A somewhat closer inspection revealed an Eastern Brown Snake curled up in the hole!!!! Why it didn’t bite me I will never know but I was certainly a lot more cautious putting my hand into dark places after that. The hole was about 30 feet (in the old language) up in a River Red Gum and how it got that high up I have no idea.

Cheers,

Mark