canberrabirds

Re: FW: [canberrabirds] ID assistance, please plus some comments on the

To: Philip Veerman <>, COG list <>, Steve Holliday <>
Subject: Re: FW: [canberrabirds] ID assistance, please plus some comments on the birds we saw and didn't see in the Orroral catchment over the past three days.
From: Con Boekel <>
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2013 20:27:28 +1100
Thanks to all contributors. It looks like the balance of opinion has settled heavily on a juvenile Brush Cuckoo.

We had several sightings of adult Fan-tailed Cuckoos but, apart from this one, they were the only kinds of cuckoos we saw. Other summer birds around were: a single Noisy Friarbird, an Olive-backed Oriole, and a Sacred Kingfisher.

Yellow-faced Honeyeaters were sometimes seen in groups of 10-12.

The area around Sawpit Creek is recovering well from the fires, but, in the half hour or so during which we were in the area, we neither heard nor saw any of the 'wets' there: Lyrebird, Satin Bowerbird, Whipbird, Pilotbird, Wonga Pigeon, Red-Browed Treecreeper, Crescent Honeyeater, Olive Whistler or Cicadabird. I am not sure whether these would have been seen in the area pre-2003 fire.

regards

Con