canberrabirds

whipbird family behaviour

To: Cog line <>
Subject: whipbird family behaviour
From: Ian Fraser <>
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2013 11:15:53 +1100
Like all of us I've heard the E Whipbird 'antiphonal duetting' (where the male starts the call and the female finishes it) within pairs many times, but had never actually seen it until this morning on the lower section of Warks Road in NNP. A moment's thought would have told me that as the duet is initiated by the male, she has to drop whatever she's doing to respond, but I'd never thought of it in those terms. However today I saw it happening. She was foraging a couple of metres off the ground by the road, he was a few metres up the hill. Whenever he called she had to stop chasing breakfast and respond the moment he finished. At one stage she was hanging upside down on a ribbon of bark, busily gleaning, when he started up; she seemed to take no notice, but the instant he finished she stopped, raised her head and put in her two notes' worth. They were accompanied by two youngsters, apparently independent but staying close by; both were virtually all black with just a couple of white flecks on the throat.

(And on an entirely different and non-avian topic, a young dead wombat by the road near Kama NR a day or so back; they're not at all common close to Canberra, but seem to be getting more so.)

cheers

Ian

--

Ian Fraser,
Environment Tours; Vertego Environmental Consultancy