canberrabirds

Fruit bats & Koels

To: "'boy nature'" <>
Subject: Fruit bats & Koels
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2013 23:45:41 +1100
I wonder why would this be the case? Both seem very late and considering the heat, unusual. The breeding event takes many weeks and within that time there will be some hot days. I suggest the dy don't stop wanting to be fed when it gets hot. Also I point out that it is not late. If you look at the breeding graphs on page 106 & 107 of The GBS Report (21 year editions) dy this week are well within the usual range for all 3 species (though less for February than January and last Monday was January).

Philip

-----Original Message-----From: boy nature [ Sent: Monday, 4 February 2013 6:55 PM      To: COG list
Subject: [canberrabirds] Fw: Fruit bats & Koals

Friday night I was very excited to find fruit bats at Goodwin Retirement village. Then the following night I found some at Hackett shops. Not sure which species as it was so dark both nights., probably little red flying foxes or grey-headed flying foxes.
I have also heard Koals calling over the past week in Hackett and 2 weeks ago near Dickson.
Also last monday there was a clutch of Black faced cuckoo shrikes being fed. Also clutches of dy peewees. Also quite a lot of begging galahs. Both seem very late and considering the heat, unusual.
Benj