canberrabirds

List of NSW National Parks for "conservation" shooting

To: "'COG Chatline'" <>
Subject: List of NSW National Parks for "conservation" shooting
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2013 11:23:51 +1100
One person asked me for more advice on this but I was just passing on the information. My comment on this is that a pathetic attempt at a reply which basically said nothing would suggest there is no rational thought behind this process (which I believe to be the case). The way this came about is an example of democracy at its worst. On that basis, attempting to argue emotions or ideas of representing doing what voters want are not likely to get far. I would like to think that giving information about the impacts, usefulness, risks, or opposite, etc of this idea is the best we can do. Then again maybe I have no idea. If shooting is an effective control of ferals and appeals to some people's sense of fun, rather than needing to pay professionals out of scarce conservation resources, well that is fine, provided that is what is being done and done safely by people properly skilled in doing so and only doing what is needed, etc.

The only good thing is we are not yet as bad as in the USA with their obsession of gun ownership and the indifference or weakness shown by those in power, not just to hunting but to the regular shootings in schools, shopping centres and cinemas, etc. Whilst I'm at it, through a lot of Africa there is big debates about the role of hunting to obtain funds supposedly to support conservation. Though the social and economic situation in Africa is hugely different to here.

Philip

-----Original Message-----From: Lia Battisson [ Sent: Sunday, 3 February 2013 3:31 PM